Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To play along, please do the following:
- Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments below.
- Be sure to share the name of the book and the author so we know what you are currently reading.
- Feel free to share your first impressions with us based on the first line.
- Link your post at Rose City Reader, or if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments below.
I just happen to have Codename: Spring by Aubrey Ross open.
With his heartbeat thundering in his ears, Evard Keenan triple-checked the results of his most recent simulation. If this data was accurate—and he had no reason to believe otherwise—he had finally found a stable antidote for the Gathosian compound.
My thoughts: This is a promising beginning.
The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. To play along:
- Grab the book closest to you, any book will do.
- Turn to page 56.
- Choose the fifth (5th) sentence or a few more (just don't spoil it too much).
- Post it on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, post it in the comments below.
- Link your post to Freda's Voice.
My Friday 56 is also from Codename: Spring by Aubrey Ross
“Exactly. He’ll produce the actual antidote as soon as we free him from Inwatta’s clutches.” She handed the strip to Autumn. “Do you know someone who can analyze the data and see if it’s legit?”
My Thoughts: Doesn't sound as if they're sure they have the right formula and they'll have free whoever gave it to them.
About Codename: Spring by Aubrey Ross
Undercover Embassy, Book Three
After the Gathosian takeover of Earth, Spring is one of the few remaining doctors tending to the survivors. But she has a secret role—spy for the Resistance, disguised as a pleasure ambassador. She’s heard the legends of Evard Keenan, the alien chemist who supposedly discovered a way to break the aliens’ control. When Evard sends for an ambassador, Spring knows it’s her only opportunity to recruit him.
She anticipates the mission’s danger, yet she’s unprepared for the passion that ignites with their first kiss. Never before has she so ached for another. She’ll complete her assignment at any cost. But how will she find the strength to walk away?
Evard is every bit a captive as the people of Earth to the ruthless Gathosians. He knows the Resistance is his only hope of escaping, and he’s just as sure Spring is part of the group. But to communicate his needs he must create a telepathic bond with Spring, formed both from lust and intimacy. Beyond desire, he needs her trust.
Publisher’s Note: This book previously appeared under the title Codename Courtesan: Spring and has been revised for Ellora’s Cave.
So what are you Friday Book Beginnings and Friday 56? Please play along and if you decide to follow my blog, let me know in the comments and I'll return the favor.