Friday, May 4, 2012

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 - 10 Days In Paradise




Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. To play along, please do the following:
  1. Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. 
  2. Make sure to share the name of the book and the author so we know what you're reading. 
  3. Feel free to share your first impressions with us based on the first line. 
  4. Link your post at Rose City Reader, or if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments below. 
My Selection this week is something that's a little older and has been on my Kindle for a while:


           



Los Angeles, California

Celeste McMillan pressed her forehead against the windowpane of her forty-second floor office. It was a beautiful night, calm now, but earlier in the day a crisp Santa Ana wind had driven away the smog. She could see for miles, from the bright windows in the adjacent skyscrapers to the twinkling city in the distance. A full moon bathed everything in a silvery, luminescent light.

My Thoughts:  I like the way the book begins, it's very descriptive and sounds like a lovely sight.




The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. To play along:
  1. Grab the book closest to you, any book will do.
  2. Turn to page 56.
  3. Choose the fifth (5th) sentence or a few more (just don't spoil it too much).
  4. Post it on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, post it in the comments below.
  5. Link your post to Freda's Voice.

I'm using the same book for my Friday 56 (10 Days in Paradise):  

And awkwardness was a distinct possibility. The thought of Kanoe as a hula dancer made her stomach clench. Cupping her chin in her hands, Celeste gazed at the woman onstage. She wore a tight dress with a flower print and a plumeria over her ear. Would Kanoe be her male counterpart?

So what are you Friday Book Beginnings and 56?

9 comments:

  1. Now all I can picture is hot male Hula dancers.... nice! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now I'm very curious! Thanks for sharing...and I do like the visual images of the opening lines.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seconding Freda here, now I have hula dancers on my mind!! But I agree with you, it sounds very descriptive, which is good!
    Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a good weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think doing a hula dance must be awfully hard. I would probably break my back and get a stomach ache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting...I'm intrigued.

    Here's my Book Beginnings post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is descriptive - very easy to picture in my mind. I like it!

    Diana
    My Book Beginnings Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the combination of the big city beginning and the vacation cover/title.

    Thanks for taking part in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hula dancers! sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete