Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. To play along, please do the following:
- Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments.
- Make sure to share the name of the book and the author so we know what you're reading.
- Feel free to share your first impressions with us based on the first line.
- Link your post at Rose City Reader, or if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments below.
My Selection this week is something that's a little older and has been on my Kindle for a while:
Los Angeles, California
Celeste McMillan pressed her forehead against the windowpane of her forty-second floor office. It was a beautiful night, calm now, but earlier in the day a crisp Santa Ana wind had driven away the smog. She could see for miles, from the bright windows in the adjacent skyscrapers to the twinkling city in the distance. A full moon bathed everything in a silvery, luminescent light.
My Thoughts: I like the way the book begins, it's very descriptive and sounds like a lovely sight.
The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. To play along:
- Grab the book closest to you, any book will do.
- Turn to page 56.
- Choose the fifth (5th) sentence or a few more (just don't spoil it too much).
- Post it on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, post it in the comments below.
- Link your post to Freda's Voice.
I'm using the same book for my Friday 56 (10 Days in Paradise):
And awkwardness was a distinct possibility. The thought of Kanoe as a hula dancer made her stomach clench. Cupping her chin in her hands, Celeste gazed at the woman onstage. She wore a tight dress with a flower print and a plumeria over her ear. Would Kanoe be her male counterpart?